When it comes to choosing a base theme, there are plenty of options out there, and many things to consider. It's best to familiarize yourself with what is available, and find which themes...
- Start with your mobile theme
- Test your mobile styling on multiple devices
- Avoid absolute positioning, fixed sizes, and pixel perfection
- Think in percentages
- Font based icons and data URIs
- Get comfortable with % and em based font sizes
- CSS3 whenever possible
- Browser Classes, Modernizr, etc. as fallbacks for old browsers
- Avoid positioning menus in hard to find regions
- Drop downs, sub menus, or collapsing?
Presentation is Key
- Beware of the "Display: none;" overruse, instead find alternative ways to display the same content
- Save extra backgrounds, transitions, etc for the larger sizes